Don’t get me wrong, I love a good loaf of freshly baked bread (it’s all about balance!) but gluten can be tough on our guts, so sometimes it’s nice to have a kinder option.
Tummy-Kind Loaf (makes around 8-10 small slices)
100g chia seeds
320g oats (blitzed in a blender till floury)
50g sunflower seeds
3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2tbsp honey pinch of salt
100ml your choice of alt milk
Putting it together
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees/160 fan
- Mix your chia seeds with 200ml of water in a bowl, leave to hang out for 10 minutes so a gel-like texture can form (this is basically your ‘egg’!
- Combine the oats and chia paste together, mixing well. Next, add the seeds, oil, honey and salt in a bowl and fold them into the oat mix
- Tip your alt milk in bit by bit, till you have a dough that sticks together but isn’t too sticky! you can use less or more alt milk to get this consistency, and add some oats if it gets too sticky (you don’t need to blitz these extra oats, they will add to the texture)
- Shape into a loaf and place on a baking paper lined tray
- Bake for around 25 minutes, turn over and bake for 25 minutes more. Turn again and bake until browned on the top (but not burnt!)
- Leave to cool and then store the loaf in an airtight tin, or slice and freeze so you always have some on hand! Works will with sweet and savoury toppings, so get creative! This is also a great pre-bed snack as it won’t spike your blood sugar too high.